The Communications Director will create, organize, plan and implement effective communications messages and strategies for the church and community audiences. The individual will support the Pastor’s vision and the church’s mission in conveying the communications priorities, through all communication actions avenues, to appropriate audiences. The individual will be creative, innovative, a creative thinker and a results-driven team leader and administrator.
The Communications Director will oversee Creative Designers, Communications Associates, Guest Experience Director, and Communication Volunteer Teams.
- Unify and align all church and auxiliary ministry communications
- Partner with ministries, meeting with them & creating communications plans to mobilize their audiences to respond
- Communicate with Executive Leadership to be informed of leadership priorities and decisions and convey those throughout the organization in a creative and strategic manner
- Manage church-wide communication requests keeping them on time and on budget
- Formulate the annual communications budget
- Give vision and leadership to the Guest Experience Director to unify messaging across all guest experience outlets
- Lead the Communications Team to:
- Keep social media and website fresh and engaging
- Collect and tell stories of life change
- Photograph the congregation, missions trips, ministry and community events, etc.
- Strategize and plan communications/marketing for 6-12 months
- Own and Manage the church’s brand/identity
Specific Skills, Gifts, Talents needed:
- Leadership: Leader, big-picture planner, ministry partner, team coach & motivator. Lead and manage other staff and volunteers to implement communications strategies. Provide leadership in the area of internal/external communications and marketing through print and electronic media.
- Coaching/Training: Educate people about procedures and processes for communicating church messages. Meet them where they are in their level of understanding and help them come to know what we do and why we do it and how they can contribute to the overall effectiveness of church communications.
- Creativity: Continually look for ways to communicate existing church-wide and ministry programs in creative ways that will evoke a response from the congregation and community.
- Marketing/Public Relations: Assess and determine the most effective ways to communicate a message to its intended audience. Create and implement a strategy for becoming more visible in the community.
- Organizational/Planning: Understand vision cast by leadership and organize communications messages in a way that best reflects church priorities.
- Relational: Ability to take direct initiatives from leadership and act as an advocate for creating clear communications throughout the organization. Connect with ministries on a personal face to face and regular basis to understand their ministries needs and wants.
- Computer Proficiency: Must be extremely comfortable working with computers. Ability to take on basic to complicated design work.
- Writing: Adapt written text to match the medium through which it it being communicated. Communicate clearly and effectively using proper grammar and written word. Provide strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Design: Knows or can quickly learn and direct basic design principles utilizing software such as Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator.